INSPIRING THE FRESH REVOLUTION AND THE FUTURE OF FOOD.
About Campbell Fresh (C-Fresh) Division
Campbell Fresh, a division of Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB), is on a mission to inspire the fresh revolution by making fresh foods more accessible, available and affordable. Expanded beyond the Bolthouse Farms business in 2015, the division leverages a cold-chain go-to-market platform to bring fresh refrigerated products to produce, deli and dairy departments of grocery stores nationwide. C-Fresh is comprised of revered brands such as Bolthouse Farms and Garden Fresh Gourmet and includes a robust portfolio of products across various categories including, fresh carrots, super-premium and ultra-premium beverages, refrigerated salad dressings, refrigerated hummus, salsa, dips, sides and soups.
Directly responsible for oversight and leadership of the Chemical, Materials and Microbiology laboratory functions at the Bolthouse Bakersfield facility. Provides technical expertise and/or guidance to solve ingredient, product and manufacturing issues. Proactively seeks to continually improve laboratory processes, procedures, and talent to drive efficiencies and cost savings. Provides additional support to the overall Business through a matrix structure, reporting through corporate’s Global Food Safety team. Applies leading edge scientific and technological concepts to business issues and opportunities in support of the business. Key project impacts include improvement to products, ingredients or processes that contribute to substantially improved food safety, quality, TDC or competitive advantage. Primary contact for food safety issue resolution for R&D, Supply Chain and Manufacturing Operations. Active in external committees and networks. Recognized internally/externally as a key technical expert in Food Microbiology.
1. Experience in a leadership roll. Demonstrated leadership capabilities to manage/lead Chemical, Materials and Microbiology laboratory functions at the Bolthouse Bakersfield facility. Provide technical expertise, direction and guidance to the laboratory teams, R&D, and manufacturing to solve issues or assist with product launches. Recognize, reward and build the appropriate talent needed within the Business. (50%)
2. Assist the Global Food Safety Authority responsible for Non-Thermal Products produced at the C Fresh division of the Campbell Soup Company focusing on refrigerated fresh processed and agricultural products. (15%)
3. Review implications of R&D initiatives on microbiological safety and stability of Campbell products. Provide input or advice to R&D groups (PD, PR&D, Packaging, Process Safety) on microbiological issues. (15%)
4. Assist in the evaluation and investigation of potential antimicrobial ingredients to ensure food safety/stability of existing and new products in development with an effort to reduce TDC. (5%)
5. Research topics with appropriate experts. Provide appropriate experimentation to effectively solve problems. Stay abreast of all current technologies related to food and ingredient processing. (5%)
6. Lead the HACCP development, FSMA assesment/training, validation and verification and microbiological testing in support of Campbell C Fresh operations. (10%)
• Provide technical leadership to ensure the highest efficiency and lowest cost laboratory services at the Bakersfield facility focusing on building the technical bench, optimizing processes and procedures, and ensuring strong collaboration between Quality and R&D and manufacturing.
• Provide innovative leading edge scientific and technological solutions/opportunities to business issues and opportunities. Current strategic initiatives include: Stockpot refrigerated food safety/shelf-life, validation of microbial testing methods for release and shelf-life of refrigerated low acid ESL products, High Pressure Processing applications for chilled ESL foods.
• In assisting the Food Safety Authority for non-thermal products, this position provides disposition for out of compliance situations due to HACCP deviations, temperature abuse from mishandling or shipping problems, and elevated microbial counts. Microbiological risk assessments and modeling are often used to evaluate risk and determine final disposition.
• Use working knowledge of Food Safety and Microbiological principles to design, manage, execute, interpret and report on scientific studies that drive R&D initiatives.
• Establish relationships with external technical experts at universities and governmental agencies and ingredient/equipment suppliers.
• Keep abreast of food safety regulatory requirements (HACCP and Food Safety Objectives) as they affect C Fresh Operations and assist with compliance.
• Thorough knowledge and proven experience in Food Safety, Microbiological, FSMA and HACCP implementation is required. Emphasis on ESL food processing and safety.
• Must be proficient in all aspects of laboratory techniques required to direct/execute the following types of studies: pathogen analysis, lethality testing, challenge studies and shelf-life studies.
• Must be detail-oriented, well-organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• MS degree in Food Microbiology and 10 years of industry experience with proven track record of project management is preferred.
Work is completed primarily in an office/lab environment. Occasional pilot plant or manufacturing plant operational studies are required. Travel, approximately 10%, includes trips to operating plants, co-packers, vendors and technical meetings.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.